This is the most in-depth guide to the best web hosting services. Here you’ll find web hosts with the best performance, security, pricing options, user-friendly features, and a lot more.
Truly, web hosting is a popular topic because where you host your website, to a large degree, can affect how much traffic you generate, the leads you’ll end up getting, and even the sales you’ll generate.
Whether you’re a beginner to online marketing or you’ve been in the trenches for years, you’ll always be in need of a reliable web host.
That’s why I created this ultimate comparison guide for 2020 to help you make the right decisions for your business.
At least, you’ll be able to discover what makes each provider great, where they need improvements, and what to look out for, depending on your business’ goals.
What Is Web Hosting?
Web hosting is an internet-based service that allows you to publish your website live on the web. A web hosting company provides the server, tools, and technology to help individuals and businesses to host their website and make it accessible from anywhere in the world.
Once your website has been hosted on a server like Bluehost or WPEngine, users can easily type in your web address (domain name) in their browser to access your website.
What Are The Best Web Hosting Services?
After going through this comparison guide, you’ll be able to choose the best one for you.
I have used some of these web hosts over the years, done a lot of migrations, and managed several accounts.
Based on my experience, my favorite web hosts are Bluehost, WPEngine, Siteground. I’ll explain ‘why’ in a bit. Keep reading.
Remember that the best web hosting services are classified based on uptime, security, site speed, user-friendly features, and relevant integrations with other online tools.
Another aspect of being the best web host provider is the ease of entry. For example, most providers are 100% free for the first month or you might be charged a few dollars to get started.
If you’re on a tight budget, for example, you can start with the lowest-tier plan and continually upgrade your account as your site grows,” says Brian Edmondson.
For beginners and small businesses, this might be a factor to consider when picking a platform. But, of course, it’s not the only factor.
Web Hosting Services Reviews (Web Hosting Plans Compared)
Now let’s dive into the meat of the guide. We’ll look at the overview of each provider, dig into some of the core features, highlight the pros and cons, and shed some lights on the pricing structure.
Here are my top picks for the best web hosting in 2020.
- WP Engine
- WPX Hosting
- Liquid Web
- A2 Hosting
- Inmotion Hosting
- AccuWeb Hosting
- GoDaddy Web Hosting
- WordPress VIP
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and at no additional cost to you, I’ll earn a commission. Know that I only recommend tools, products and services I’ve personally used and stand behind. When you purchase a tool using my one of my affiliate links, the company compensates me, which helps me run this blog and keep all of my in-depth content free of charge for readers.
Alright, let’s dive right in to go over the best web hosting platforms out there.
Bluehost is one of the reliable web hosting companies around. It’s the official WordPress recommended hosting service provider. Bluehost was started in 1996 by Matt Heaton and Danny Ashworth in Provo, Utah.
With Bluehost, you’re assured of 99.99% uptime, unmatched security, and user-friendly interface. Bluehost starts out at $2.95/month, which is 63% Off their regular plan.
Even when your website generates a lot of traffic, Bluehost can shoulder the heavy bandwidth and keep your business alive throughout the day.
Bluehost offers a wide array of hosting plans for both small businesses and large organizations.
It offers 24/7 expert support via phone, email, or live chat — you’ll never be left alone when there’s a problem with your website.
With its free domain name for the first year, 1-Click Install WordPress feature, and a FREE SSL Certificate, you can quickly launch and secure your website in 30 minutes to begin your online marketing journey.
Bluehost also integrates seamlessly with Cloudflare — a content delivery network (CDN).
This tool bulletproofs your website against DDoS attacks and fake traffic coming from spam and low-quality sources. With CDN, your web files are hosted on a network of services — thus, increasing site speed.
If you’re looking for the best web hosting company that you can trust, Bluehost should come to mind. It provides an easy-to-use interface that makes it easier to install essential software from the Control Panel.
Who Is BlueHost Web Hosting Best For?
Given that Bluehost is currently powering over 2 million websites, you might be wondering if it’s worth it for you.
Well, there are no standard rules to follow when looking for the best web host, but if you want to get started immediately with an affordable provider that will work for your small or large business website, Bluehost is highly recommended for you.
It’s for blogs and portfolios, online stores, and business’ websites. You’ll get everything you need to build the perfect website that will power your business.
Key Features of Bluehost
- Built-in security
- 1-Click WordPress Install
- Free domain name
- 24/7 expert support
- User-friendly dashboard
- Fast web pages
- It has an easy-to-use dashboard that anyone can understand.
- You’ll get a free domain name to get started with (for 1 year)
- You get access to a full suite of tools.
- It offers fully customizable themes to make it easier for you to build out your website
- At $2.95/month, Bluehost is one of the cheapest providers you can find
- It’s the #1 recommended host by WordPress
- There are no hidden charges when you sign up with Bluehost
- Higher domain renewal price is often higher than the competition.
- During signup, there’s a strong upsell. Although, users can easily uncheck these addons and only pay $2.95/month.
Plans And Pricing
Bluehost offers 3 different plans namely:
- Blogs & Portfolio
- Online Store.
The Blogs & Portfolio plan further offers 3 pricing options and plans:
- Basic: It’s recommended for a new blog/website. Starting at $2.95/month.
- Plus: It’s ideal for multiple blogs/websites. The cost is $5.45/month.
- Choice Plus: This is for growing blogs and websites. It’s priced at $5.45/month.
The Business plan further offers 3 pricing options and plans:
- Basic: This is for a new blog/website. It’s priced at $2.95/month.
- Plus: Multiple blogs/websites should use this plan. The cost is $5.45/month.
- Choice Plus: For a growing website. Pricing begins at $5.45/month
- Pro: This is mostly recommended for top website performance. It costs $13.95/month
The Online Stores plan further offers 3 pricing options and plans:
When you need a professional eCommerce website, the Online Stores plan is the most recommended. Pricing begins at $6.95/month.
Like the other plans, the Online Store plan has 3 pricing options as well:
Starter: For those just getting started with selling online. It costs $6.95/month.
Plus: This plan is for eCommerce businesses that want to grow their presence. It costs $8.95/month.
Pro: If you need Advanced Ecommerce Features, use this plan. It’s priced at $12.95/month.
2. WP Engine
You’ve a ton of cheap hosts that you might want to choose from when you’re just getting started. However, if you want a performance-oriented, concierge service, then WP Engine web hosting service is your best shot.
WP Engine was founded in 2010 with headquarters in the United Kingdom. It currently has more than 80,000 customers in 140 countries around the world, and powers 500,000 WordPress sites.
WP Engine is a provider for WordPress websites. It offers managed plans that will serve you well on the WordPress CMS. In comparison to many other WordPress hosts, WP Engine’s plans might be on the high end.
If you want a robust hosting to power your WordPress site, you should consider WP Engine. It’s received a lot of positive reviews from real customers.
To help you make the right decisions, let’s do a thorough WP Engine review for WordPress. Here you’ll know the core features, performance capabilities, support options, and other important information you need to know about this web host to help you decide if it’s right for you or not.
If you’re looking for a website that’s optimized, secure, and fast-loading – without messing around with technical stuff yourself – managed hosting from WP Engine is a great option worth considering. This provider has become a top name in the WordPress hosting environment.
Who is WP Engine For?
WP Engine is for businesses that are running their sites via WordPress. It’s also for developers and designers who aren’t professionals at web hosting maintenance; they just want to focus on developing new tools and software.
WP Engine will also benefit small businesses that want to explore the opportunities in WordPress platform.
Last but not the least, businesses that have outgrown their shared hosting plans can use WP Engine to improve performance for their WordPress site.
Key Features of WP Engine
- Easy to use website setup tools
- WordPress staging sites.
- Cutting-edge site security.
- Automated site migrations.
- Reliable website backups and restores.
- 24/7 expert customer support.
- Geotarget tools to meet the needs of your audience by serving location-specific content.
- Client site transfer for developers
- Unmatched speed and optimal performance for WordPress sites.
- Trusted and dedicated customer support via Phone, Live chat, etc.
- Your files are secure and protected.
- Page Performance solution makes it easier to quickly test and improve your site.
- A free Content Delivery Network (CDN) in all plans.
- WP Engine is quite expensive. Pricing begins at $25/month (billed yearly).
- The managed hosting is limited to shared servers (or dedicated servers on the custom plans).
- The startup plan only allows 1 website.
WP Engine Plans and Pricing
WP Engine has some flexible plans and pricing to suit your WordPress needs. Let’s quickly explore them:
- Startup ($30/month): This is the first hosting plan that allows up to 25,000 visits per month, 10GB of storage space, one website, an SSL certificate, global CDN, and up to 50GB of bandwidth.
- Growth ($115/month): This plan covers up to 100,000 web traffic, and allows up to 10 websites to be hosted. Also, there’s 24/7 phone support. You can even import your own SSL certificates.
- Scale ($290/month): This plan is for advanced users as it provides more resources. You can host up to 30 websites, and receive 400,000 visitors each month.
- Premium and Enterprise: These are custom plans, so pricing will vary. They provide lots of additional resources and support, and move your hosting up from a shared setup to dedicated servers.
Siteground is a powerful web hosting provider with impressive features, great customer support, excellent performance, and speed. Siteground has received a lot of love and praise from businesses in recent years.
I absolutely love Siteground. It’s especially great when you’re starting out and want to beat competitors with easy to use tools.
SiteGround is privately owned and was founded in 2004. They’re based in Bulgaria, where they have two offices. They also have an office in Madrid, Spain.
In the past few years, Siteground has generated a lot of media attention and built a strong reputation in the digital marketing environment. It’s now become a web hosting solution for individuals and businesses that want affordable high-quality hosting solutions.
We’ll dig deeper into the core features of Siteground, highlighting the three main WordPress hosting packages: StartUp, GrowBig and GoGeek, and exploring the pros and cons thereof.
Siteground offers different hosting solutions — depending on the type of website you have. They have the Shared, Cloud, WordPress, and Dedicated plans — as well as other specialized plans.
The good thing about this web host is the free Cloudflare CDN and SSL certificates that customers get. The Shared plans are a good starting plan for anyone; since it’s packed with awesome features.
I love the fact that SiteGround’s servers are fast and rock solid. An optimal uptime performance is also assured.
The most important aspect of Siteground is the impressive and reliable customer support. It’s second to none in the web hosting industry. I have heard good experiences with the tech support; I must say they responded quickly and fixed the issue.
So is Siteground a reliable web hosting solutions provider for your business? Can you stake your business’ website on their server? What does it cost? These and several other questions will be answered in a bit.
Who is Siteground For?
Siteground is trusted by people with over 2 million domains. But, of course, the web host isn’t for everyone.
It’s worth it for successful small businesses. It can also be a starting web host for personal and business websites. The second group of people are marketers who want to sell more via their eCommerce sites. And the Cloud hosting plans are for huge businesses that want to scale.
If you’re a WordPress site owner, then the Managed WordPress solution from Siteground will suit your needs — since it’s great tools that can power your site or blog.
Key Features of Siteground
- Site builder with premium features to quickly launch your WordPress site.
- Transfer your websites easily with the WordPress migrator plugin.
- Insanely-fast websites through SSD and ultra-fast networks.
- Access free Let’s Encrypt SSL that secures your data
- Efficient daily backups and restores.
- Managed WordPress features on all plans.
- Unmetered Bandwidth
- 99.99% uptime rate.
- Easy Site Management
- Trusted email service solutions.
- Manage your domain and site in one central dashboard.
- Clean client interfaces to manage sites easily.
- Simple staging tool.
- Dynamic caching feature makes your WordPress site load up quickly.
- WordPress autoupdates
- Unlimited databases
- 100% green energy for the environment
- Official WordPress-recommended web hosting provider.
- Award-winning 24/7 expert support
- Fast web servers for improved site performance.
- It operates on Google Cloud to deliver a superior hosting service.
- Fully managed service.
- Setting up backups can be complicated (especially for newbies)
- No free domain name
Siteground Plans and Pricing
Siteground offers four hosting solutions, which include:
- Reliable web hosting
- Managed WordPress hosting
- WooCommerce hosting
- Cloud hosting
The Reliable Web Hosting solution has 3 plans, which are:
- StartUp: You can host one website on this is an entry-level plan. Pricing starts at $3.95/month.
- GrowBig: This plan allows unlimited websites to be hosted. It’s priced at $5.95/month.
- GoGeek: This is a huge plan for up to 100,000 monthly traffic, 30 GB storage space, etc. It costs $11.95/month.
The Managed WordPress hosting equally has 3 similar plans but with different pricing options:
- StartUp: Pricing starts at $3.95, one website can be hosted, 10,000 monthly visits, etc.
- GrowBig: This allows Unlimited websites to be hosted, up to 25,000 monthly visits, and it’s priced at $5.95
- GoGeek: This plan begins at $11.95/month, allows up to 100,000 monthly unique traffic, you can host unlimited websites, 30 GB of space, and has all the features of StartUp and GrowBig plans.
The High Performance WooCommerce Hosting has 3 plans:
- StartUp: This is an entry-level plan that allows you to host one website. Pricing starts at $3.95/month.
- GrowBig: This plan allows unlimited websites to be hosted, 20 GB storage space, Unmetered traffic, 25,000 monthly unique visits, etc. It’s priced at $5.95/month.
- GoGeek: Again, this plan allows up to 100,000 monthly traffic, 30 GB storage space, etc. Pricing begins at $11.95 per month.
The Managed Cloud Hosting has 3 plans:
- Entry: Get an easy start on the cloud with this 2 CPU Cores, 4 GB memory, 40 GB SSD storage space at $80/month.
- Business: If you’re looking for optimal cloud experience, this 60 GB SSD storage that costs $120/month may be right for you.
- Business Plus: This is an advanced performance plan with 8 GB memory, 80 GB SSD storage, and costs $160/month.
- Super Power: This plan starts out at $240/month. It comes with 120 GB SSD storage space, 5TB data transfer, 10 GB memory, and a lot more.
“WPX is still the fastest WordPress host…twice as fast as the rest”, says Matthew Woodward.
The statement above was from a case study that Matthew Woodward conducted to test out 12 web hosts and determine the best. WPX won!
WPX Hosting can save you from terrible experiences from other web hosts. Their customer and technical support will respond to you quickly.
To give a quick background; WPX Hosting was founded by Terri Kyle in 2013 as Traffic Planet.
According to Terry, he was frustrated by cheap web hosting providers that weren’t able to shoulder huge traffic spikes, delivered poor quality support, and had slow-performing servers.
WPX Hosting is best for WordPress users who want premium managed WordPress hosting solutions with unmatched speed for their websites. Considering they take speed and quality customer support seriously, website owners can’t seem to ignore them.
Today, WPX Hosting powers thousands of websites from around the world, and they have been able to satisfy pretty much all their users. Hardly will you find any negative reviews of WPX. Yes, they are so awesome!
In this review, we’ll get into the crux of WPX hosting, why it’s preferred over other web hosting companies, the core features, pros and cons, plans and pricing, etc.
Who is WPX Hosting For?
WPX Hosting is right for WordPress users who want premium managed hosting services. Hundreds of thousands of website owners are already using WPX.
In particular, bloggers, affiliate marketers, online influencers, content creators, and every WordPress user who wants speed, reliable and trusted customer support system, and useful tools, can benefit immensely from WPX.
If you do have the fund, it can also be a starting web host for your personal and business websites.
WordPress users are always looking for a premium managed solution. If that’s your case, then you’ll love WPX — you’ll have access to great tools that can power your website or blog.
Key Features of WPX Hosting
- High-Speed, custom CDN that triples the speed of your site.
- Unlimited site migrations from your previous web hosts.
- Unlimited SSL certificates to secure your site.
- 24/7 expert and technical support.
- Staging environment.
- 1-Click WordPress installations (it’s beginner-friendly).
- Manual backups and quick restores.
- Malware Scanning & Removals.
- 30 Day Money-Back guarantee, no questions asked.
- 28 Day Automatic backups and instant restores anytime.
- 99.95 Uptime guarantee (your site will always be live).
- Reliable servers all over the US and UK.
- 3x your WordPress site at no extra cost.
- Enhanced WPX Cloud for faster speeds
- 37 second customer support (WPX responds insanely fast)
- Lightning fast web servers (1.13 seconds according to Matthew’s study)
- WPX’s experts will move your site to their server for free
- Get free SSL certificate forever
- Malware and hacking are removed for you at no cost.
- Fully managed service.
- Unlimited free email accounts for your business.
- No need to pay extra on renewals (unlike web hostings like Hostgator, SIteground, etc.)
- Monthly hosting plans are accessible (if you don’t want to pay yearly).
- The entry-level hosting plan is expensive (it starts at $24.99/month) compared to other shared WordPress hosting services. Although, you benefit more with WPX.
- There’s no cPanel interface that most WordPress users are used to. However, WPX has its own custom interface which is easy-to-us.