What’s your excuse for not investing in stocks, ETFs, real estate, and crypto?
54% of Americans say they don’t invest because they don’t earn enough money to invest. What’s your excuse?
If you choose the best investment app, all you need to start investing is $5 to $50.
This is the ultimate guide to the best investment apps that give you access to thousands of stocks from companies you love.
In this in-depth guide, you’ll discover:
- What the best investment apps are
- What an investing app is
- What to consider when choosing an investing app
- How to avoid paying ‘hidden’ fees
- The benefits of using investment apps to find, invest, and profit.
- And lots more…
If you’re ready, let’s get started.
What Are The Best Investments Apps?
Here are my top picks for the best investments apps for 2022:
- M1 Finance – The best overall investment app.
- Robinhood – A popular investment app with zero commissions.
- Webull – A better investment app with smart trading tools.
- SoFi Invest – A solid investing app for legal US residents.
- Charles Schwab
- Interactive Brokers
- DEGIRO – The best investing app in Europe.
- Stash App
- Ally Invest
- Fidelity Investments
Alright, let’s dive right in. Here’s a breakdown of the 21 best investment apps of 2022:
1. M1 Finance
Best overall investment app
M1 Finance lets you manage your money with ease. The M1 Finance investment app offers an advanced level of customization.
This low-cost Robo-advisor for self-directed investors will let you set up automated transfers, portfolio rebalancing, and fund selection.
If you prefer, you can even pay for premium features such as goal planning and financial calculators.
There are no hidden fees or commissions, so you can invest completely for free.
- Customizable investing with zero commission
- Access credits at just 3.5% interest with M1 Borrow
- Free digital checking: Get 1% APY with M1 Plus
- Earn up to 10% cashback when you use Owner’s Rewards Card
- Build long-term wealth with Custodial accounts
- It’s easy to use and navigate
- You’ll not be charged any commissions
- No account management fees
- It allows fractional share trading
- Get access to banking and loans via the app
- No tax-loss harvesting
- No access to human advisors
- Only available to US citizens / residents
M1 Finance Fees
M1 Finance have 4 different financial plans. Let’s break them down:
- Invest: Smart transfers, Custodial accounts, $0 trading commissions
- Borrow: You’ll be charged a 2% interest rate, 3.5% without M1 Plus, no application, pay whenever you want, $2,000 balance minimum, etc.
- Spend: Checking: 1% APY, 1% cashboack, 4 monthly ATM fee reimbursements, 0% international fees, etc.
- Spend: Credit: $95 fee waived for members, earn 1.5% to 10% cashback, Visa Signature, and more.
$0.00 (misc fees may apply)
Interest paid of cash balances
1% (for M1 Plus users only)
M1 Finance is an online broker and investment manager hybrid. Unlike most services, they allow for both self-managed and robo-directed investing.
Best investment app with zero commissions
Robinhood is a commission-free investment app. The Robinhood investment app can be used to invest in stocks, bonds, mutual funds and crypto.
Robinhood is only available to US residents / citizens. You can access your Robinhood account in almost all countries, with the exception of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and the Crimea region of Ukraine.
If you’re new to investing, a Robinhood investment app is an excellent way to start.
It offers a simple, streamlined interface and no commission trading, and it has a website interface as well.
- Invest in 5,000+ stocks (starting with $1)
- Customize your portfolio with different companies and funds
- Trade shares in real-time to maximize profit
- Manage your investments on the go with the mobile app
- Earn 0.30% APY on your deposits
- Fast and fully digital account opening
- Get 1 free stock after linking your bank account (keep or sell it after 2 trading days)
- Easy-to-use mobile and web trading platforms
- Zero commissions for accounts that trade US-listed securities
- It supports cryptocurrency trading
- The commission-free trading doesn’t apply to every trader
- No retirement accounts
- Mutual funds and bonds are not supported by the app
- Only available for US citizens / residents
Robinhood Fees & Pricing
0% (no fees are charged to open, close, or maintain a brokerage account)
Card Replacement Fee
Robinhood doesn’t charge to replace a stolen, lost, or damaged card. They’ll mail you a new one for free
Minimum Deposit Amount
Trading Activity Fee
$0.000130 per share (equity sells) and $0.00218 per contract (options sells). or $6.49 which is based on the execution of the order and it can happen in multiple parts.
It’s free to sign up for a standard Robinhood account. That said, Robinhood also has a premium Gold plan, which cost $5 per month.
With Robinhood Gold you’ll get access to research reports and advanced market data, get bigger instant deposits, and borrow money at a 2.5% interest rate if eligible.
Best investment app with smart trading tools
Webull simplifies the complex process involved with investing in stocks, trading, and general investments.
The Webull investment app is a new way to trade stocks.
It offers commission-free brokerage accounts with no minimum balance requirements, no trading fees, and 2 free stocks worth up to $3,000.
As an added incentive, the Webull app will credit both your account and your friend’s account with a ‘reward’ stock each time they sign up for an account.
- Invest in 1,000s of companies (start with $5)
- Easy-to-use trading tools to create your own portfolio
- Diversify your portfolio with stocks, fractional shares, ETFs, options, and ADRs
- Buy and sell securities and assets with Individual Brokerage Accounts
- It’s an intuitive and easy-to-use app
- Trade popular cryptocurrencies (BTC, ETH, LTC, DOGE, SHIB, etc.)
- Commission-free trading on U.S.-listed stocks, ETFs, and options
- Get 2 free stocks when you signup and connect your bank account
- No minimum deposit or annual fees
- It lacks automated investment tools as Robinhood does
- It doesn’t allow joint brokerage accounts
- Mutual funds, fixed income securities, and bonds are not supported
- Only available to US citizens / residents
Webull charges $0.00 commissions on stocks, ETFs and options listed on U.S. exchanges.
However, some regulatory agencies still charge fees, some of which are passed from the broker-dealer to clients and are regarded as a pass-through transaction.
4. SoFi Invest
Best investment app for US residents
SoFi’s investment app is easy to use and provides a simple way to invest in stocks and other assets.
You can choose to start investing with $1, and you can adjust your risk tolerance if you want.
SoFi is short for “Social Finance.”
The mobile app is free, and it is available on both Android and iOS devices.
It also allows you to track your investments and make real-time updates, so you can be on the go while you are at work.
- No account or management fees
- Active or automated investing
- Access to cryptocurrency
- Complimentary access to Certified Financial Planners (CFPs)
- Invest in fractional shares of company stock
- No minimum to start investing
- Zero trading and account setup fees
- Access to Certified Financial Planners at no extra cost
- Trade cryptocurrencies, including BTC, ETH, and other digital assets
- It’s not available globally (only to U.S. residents)
- Stop-loss orders are not allowed
SoFi Invest Fees
Cryptocurrency Trading Fees
$0 (start investing with $1)
Annual Transfer Fee
$75 full outgoing transfer fee.
Best all-in-one investment plan
Charles Schwab offers an excellent investment app for investors on the go.
The app offers many features, such as free stock trading and IRA deposits.
It also has two Robo-advisor services, which are used to build, monitor, and automatically rebalance a diversified portfolio based on your goals.
You can download this app for your iPhone or Android device.
For first-timers, the Charles Schwab investment app offers an “investor’s portfolio,” which lets you invest a single share of a particular stock.
- Invest in and trade stocks, ETF, and options
- Access to Robo-advisor: a premium service that guides your investment actions
- An intuitive mobile app to track your investment on the go
- Invest in cryptocurrency stocks (Coinbase, Square, PayPal, Silvergate Capital)
- The app is easy to use
- Commission-free stock, options, and ETF trades
- FDIC insurance cover of up to $250,000
- Enjoy the benefits of Individual, Joint, and IRA accounts
- Navigating the website is hard, too many bells & whistles
- A low-interest rate of 0.05% APY is a turnoff for investors
Charles Schwab Fees
$0 (zero commissions on online trades)
Account & Trade Minimums
$0 (no trade minimums, no account minimums)
$0 online base commission + $0.65 per contract fee
US Over-The-Counter (OTC) Equities
Schwab Mutual Fund OneSource
$0 + $25 service charge for Broker-Assisted Trades
Best investment app for investors with diversified portfolios
Interactive Brokers offers an investment app that makes Investing easy and convenient.
You can easily access your account and track your portfolio from anywhere. It offers free, diversified research and news services.
One of the best features is the Impact Dashboard, which lets you invest based on your own criteria, including gender equality, animal testing, etc.
To make your investment decisions easier, you can choose from the 10 categories and filter out investments that don’t adhere to those principles.
- Invest globally in stocks, options, bonds, etc.
- Access your investment portfolio from a single integrated account
- Lowest commissions (starting at 0.2%)
- Optimize trading speed with IBKR’s suite of technology
- Earn extra income on your lendable shares
- Easily invest in companies that share your value
- Enjoy lowest commissions (starting at $0.2)
- Over 7,000 mutual funds to invest in with no transaction fee
- Find and invest globally in stocks, bonds, and currencies from a single dashboard
- Deposit money in your local currency and trade global stocks
- Complicated desktop trading platform
- Account opening process isn’t as straightforward as some other investment apps
Interactive Brokers Fees
IBKR Lite gives retail clients $0 commissions on US-listed stock and ETF trades — with no account minimums and no inactivity fees.
IBKR Pro is ideal for sophisticated investors and active traders. IBKR Pro clients access the IB SmartRoutingSM system, which provides $0.47 per 100 shares price improvement vs. the industry.
Best long-term investment app
Wealthfront offers an intuitive investment app that helps users grow their investments without having to spend too much time figuring out how to use it.
The onboarding process is simple and straightforward, and it begins with a series of questions that allow you to tailor the app’s recommendations to your own situation.
For example, it asks you about your risk tolerance and how likely you are to panic when the market goes down.
This helps the app builds an optimal portfolio based on your profile and your preferences.
- Build long-term wealth with a diversified portfolio
- Explore hundreds of funds across dozens of categories (tech, clean energy, etc.)
- Automate your investing process to maximize profits
- Borrow up to 30% of your account at a low rate (2.40% to 3.65%)
- Get your loans approved instantly. No application process or credit check is required
- It’s ideal for long-term investors
- Easily transfer money to your checking, investment, and savings accounts
- Enjoy low fees (starting at 0.25% annual fee)
- Easy-to-use investment app with intuitive interface
- Easily adjust your investments to match your interests
- Explore thousands of investment options
- No direct relationship with a human advisor
- You can’t borrow more than 30% of your account
- Only available to US citizens / residents
2.40% to 3.65%
0.06% to 0.13%
0.25% per year when you invest $1,000
Best social investment app for beginners
Wealthbase is a social investment app for beginners. It provides a new way to learn about stock picking and investing in cryptocurrency.
It integrates with your social media accounts and encourages you to compete against your friends.
It’s even fun enough that you can set up goals and compete against yourself to earn more money.
It is available on both Android and iOS devices and requires no fees. And once you start earning, there are no hidden fees or hiccups.
- Trade stocks, ETFs, and cryptos in simulation
- Diversify your investment portfolio
- Trade to win via the native iOS and Android apps
- Learn about investing and financial planning via the Wealthbase Learning Center
- Trade stocks, ETFs, and cryptos with ease
- Daily tax-loss harvesting
- You can play fantasy trading games with friends
- Get $100,000 in virtual cash to practice trading
- Download and use the native iOS and Android apps
- No fractional shares to invest in
- Risky trading habits as the player’s real money is not involved
Crypto Trading Fees
0.15% commission per trade
Wealthbase is a social investment app for beginners. It provides a new way to learn about stock picking and investing in cryptocurrency.
Best app to save and invest money easily
Acorns offers a useful investment app for investors looking to invest in equities. Its intuitive interface makes it easy to get started.
Using Acorns doesn’t require you to have a high net worth.
Its algorithm will automatically allocate your funds based on your timeline and age and will automatically adjust the portfolio as market values change.
Acorns does not charge commissions on transactions and users can cancel their accounts at any time.
You can also set up automatic investments through Round-Ups, where Acorns will set aside $0.75 per $2.25 purchase.
- Invest in stocks with a track record of success
- Save for retirement on the go
- Get investment accounts for you and your family
- Invest spare change (as little as $3, $5, a month) to earn more
- Bank-level security and 256-bit encryption to secure your fund
- Invest your spare change automatically
- Cashback at 300+ select retailers
- Lots of educational content available
- It’s suitable for people who struggle to save
- High fees on small account balances
- Acorns doesn’t offer a tax strategy to help you keep more of what you earn
- Not available globally yet (only US citizens / legal residents allowed)
Acorns offers 2 distinct plans:
- Personal ($3/month): All-in-one investment, checking, retirement, metal debit card, and more.
- Family ($5/month): Flexible investment accounts for kids, personal investment, checking accounts, retirement, and exclusive offers
Acorns offers a useful investment app for investors looking to invest in equities. Its intuitive interface makes it easy to get started.
Best investment app in the Europe
DEGIRO is a stock trading and investment app with low fees. It supports up to 30 countries in Europe and 50 exchanges.
It’s suitable for all types of investors, and you can invest worldwide at unprecendented low rates.
Private investors can now spread their investments a lot better with the DEGIRO app.
The DEGIRO investment app is available on Android and iPhone. The company says it offers a free demo account, so you can try it out before making a decision.
- Invest and manage your portfolio via the trading app
- User-friendly investment interface with easy-to-use tools
- Discover your next investment opportunities
- Touch ID login for added security
- 50+ stock exchanges are supported globally
- Buy and trade stocks, bond, and options
- Top-tier regulation to safeguard your investments
- A user-friendly trading platform
- Invest in 50+ stocks from wherever you are
- It doesn’t support forex trading
- It doesn’t accept US clients (or anyone outside Europe)
- You can’t buy U.S. ETFs on the platform
DEGIRO charges different fees for stocks, bonds, and other securities based on countries users are exchanging from:
Exchange Connection Fee
2.50€ (max 0.25% of your account value) per connected exchange, each year
Network Transaction Fees
It applies (depending on the transaction amount)
Connectivity Fee for U.S. Options
€5,00 per exchange per calendar month
Best all-purpose investment app
Vanguard is an investing app for retail clients that allows you to manage their accounts and trade stocks and bonds.
Users can also adjust their asset mix, receive personal return details, and see detailed holdings and performance information.
The company released the beta version of the app last year, and now clients can explore the new features.
The new Vanguard mobile app is available on both Apple (iOS) and Android devices.
- Access your investment accounts in one place
- Easy to use trading app for iOS and Android devices
- Track your account balances and performance for each of your holdings
- Deposit checks into your accounts and make trades
- Security first: Vanguard adds multiple secure layers to your account
- An intuitive and simple investment mobile app
- Invest in strong stocks with track records of success
- Access a wide range of inexpensive ETFs and mutual funds
- It’s ideal for buy-and-hold investors
- It doesn’t support Forex trading
- It lacks essential tools needed by day traders
Stocks & ETFs (Vanguard & Non-Vanguard) Fees
$0 commission + $1 per contract — 25 free trades if $1+ million in assets — 100 free trades if $5+ million in assets
0% if new issue, $1 per $1,000 on secondary market (max $250)
12. Stash App
A best investment app for beginners
Stash is an investment app that lets you invest in fractional shares of thousands of stocks.
It sorts the stocks based on themes and categories, allowing you to easily pick which ones are right for you.
You can also choose to support a particular cause or invest in industry-specific companies.
The app makes investing easy and fun, making it great for first-time investors.
It’s available on both iOS and Android devices.
- Start investing with $5
- Gain access to Smart Portfolio to manage your crypto
- Invest automatically in fractional shares
- Get the Stock-Back Card: Get paid 2 days earlier
- $1k life insurance cover from Avibra
- There’s no investing minimum amounts
- Invest in fractional shares
- It uses flat-rate fee structure
- It’s a helpful app for dealing with market volatility, ideal for long-term investors
- Minimum investment amount of just $5
- There’s no option to roll over existing retirement accounts like 401(k) or IRA
- A high flat monthly fee, which may be expensive for small accounts
- It lacks wealth management services
Stash App Fees
Stash offers 3 pricing and plans to help you decide what’s investment decisions you need to make:
- Stash Beginner ($1/month): Advice for beginner investing, Banking access Stock-Back Card, Insurance cover, etc.
- Stash Growth ($3/month): Every feature in Stash Beginner, plus advice for growing personal finances, investing access, and more.
- Stash+ ($9/month): Everything in Stash Growth, plus Investing access for 2 kids portfolios, Banking access, Insurance cover (up to $10k life insurance)
Best app for crypto and banking investment
Invstr is an easy-to-use investment app that combines learning and investing.
The app is geared towards new investors and includes a fantasy stock game. Users can help manage their virtual portfolio and access investor opinions.
You can download the Ivstr app from the App Store or Google Playstore.
Once they’ve made a few investments, the app will allow them to purchase real shares and earn a commission.
You can even invest in cryptocurrency without any commission fees!
The free Invstr app can be downloaded and used to practice your investing skills.
- Invest in crypto and stocks
- Helpful tools to diversify your portfolio
- Mobile app is supported by iOS and Android devices
- Start investing in stocks with as little as $100
- No-risk virtual trading tools
- Claim a $30 worth of free BTC when you register and fund your account with at least $100
- Start investing in fractional shares with as little as $5
- There’s zero commission fee
- Invest in cryptocurrencies and banking assets
- An easy-to-use iOS and Android mobile app
- Limited trading options (some features are only available to U.S. residents)
- It charges fee for buying fractional shares (other investment app make it free)
Fractional Trades Fee
$0.99 per trade
Full Share Transactions Fee:
Fantasy Finance, Charts & News, Leagues, Feed, Chat
10 trades: $0.99
50 trades $3.99
10 undos: $7.99
Best investment app with automated tools
Betterment can help you grow your money by giving you the inspiration, tools, and support to master investing.
If you are looking for an investment app that is easy to use and has a personalized approach, you may want to try Betterment.
This application offers an investment experience that is designed to make investing easy, while also offering a way to live better.
The company is currently home to more than $32 billion in assets, and their free version lets you invest as much as you want.
- Start investing with $10
- Automated tools to grow your investment portfolio
- Customize your investment account
- Transparent pricing: one low, annual fee of 0.25%
- Manage and track your finances from in one place
- Invest in your favorite companies (with just $10)
- Pay a low annual fee of 0.25%
- Built to simplify investment for everyone
- Track all your external investment accounts in one place
- Get optimized tax and take more money home
- Diversify your investment portfolio in real-time
- The user interface can be more intuitive and easier to use
- Setting up an account is rigorous
- No direct indexing (this affects the tax-loss harvesting option)
Betterment has 3 plans with different fees and features based on your needs:
- Checking: No fee, $0 minimum balance, No-fee Checking account and Visa debit card, FDIC-insured up to $250,000, and more.
- Digital investing (0.25% annual fee): $2.50/yar for every $1,000, low-cost investing portfolio, Account choices, IRAs, etc.
- Premium investing (0.40% annual fee): $100,000 minimum balance, $400/year for every $100,000, all the features of Digital investing, and more.
Best investment app with $0 commissions
E*TRADE offers a trading and retirement platform.
It also comes with an investment app for mobile users, which offers a similar functionality to the company’s web platform such as third-party investment research, market news, and real-time data streaming.
It also has drawing tools to help you visualize your portfolio.
The functionality of the app is similar to the web version, and you can use it to make charts and graphs.
If you’re a beginner, you may want to invest in the E*TRADE platform for beginners.
- Easy-to-use investment app
- Plan for the future with flexible retirement tools
- Low fees on options and future contracts
- Zero commissions on US-based stock, ETF, and option trades
- Make unlimited trades on the go
- User-friendly mobile trading platform
- Low trading fees on stocks and ETFs
- Commission-free stock, options, and ETF trades
- Easy-to-use investment tools for your retirement journey
- Only bank transfer is allowed
- It supports only US markets, no forex trading
- The web platform is difficult to navigate
Here’s a breakdown of E*TRADE’s fees for different securities:
- Stocks, Options, and ETFs ($0.00): Start your investment journey with the lowest trading fee
- Options contract ($0.65): When you make 30+ trades per quarter, you’ll pay $0.50 cents only.
- Future Contracts ($1.50): Commissions for cryptocurrency futures is $2.50 per contract, per side, in addition to fees.
- Bonds ($1.00 per bond): start trading with $10 – $250.
16. Ally Invest
Best versatile investment app for beginners
Ally Invest app offers an array of tools for investors of all skill levels, including a comprehensive forex trading platform with 50+ currency pairings.
With low-to-zero fees, Ally is a great choice for people who aren’t ready to hire a personal investment advisor.
Besides the app’s intuitive interface, Ally’s platform includes a range of educational resources.
Videos are available on topics such as budgeting, debt management, and career planning.
- Invest with flexible packages (get started with $100)
- A wide array of investment choices
- In-depth research and market analysis tools
- Zero comissions on U.S. listed stocks and ETFs
- Higher dividend yields for your stocks
- Start your investment journey with $100
- Easy to use and navigate investment app
- Choose from a wide range of companies to invest in
- Easily build a diversified portfolio over time
- Track your portfolio on the go, in one place
- You can only trade on eligible U.S. markets
- Security is questionable (no 2-step authentication)
- It’s not a true forex trading app
Ally Invest Fees
Ally Investment has 2 packages: Self-Directed Trading and Robo Portfolios. There are fees for each based on your transactions.
Base Commission on Low-Priced Securities
Trading Fee on Eligible U.S. Stocks
50¢ per contract traded
Best real estate investment app
Fundrise is a simple, low-cost, and state-of-the-art app for investing in real estate and other resilient assets.
Fundrise is great for beginners because of its easy-to-use interface. Investors can see the financials of each property and its pictures.
It also allows investors to search for properties on a map.
The customer support center is helpful and offers real-time assistance to those who have questions or need more information.
If you are a first-time investor, consider starting small and working up your way up.
With Fundrise, you can always get started with just $10 and grow your portfolio over time.
- Invest in a low-cost, diversified real estate
- In-house expertise reduces fees
- Maximize your long-term investment
- Flexible investment minimums (started at $10)
- An intuitive mobile app for iOS and Android devices
- Start investing with as little as $10
- It has a simple, intuitive, and multi-tiered investment tools
- It’s open to all investors who are interested in real estate
- Get access to plenty of IRA eligible offerings
- The web version is easy to use
- Lower returns on your investment (when compared to other platforms)
- It’s difficult to understand the fee structures
- You may have to wait for longer to get good yields for your investment
Annual Advisory Fees
0.15% (this applies to every $1,000 you invest with Fundrise)
$10 (With $10, you can set up a Starter Portfolio and gain access to a diverse mix of US real estate assets)
Best investment app for beginners
Public is one of the best investments apps around. The Public investment app offers tips for beginning investors and helps them better understand the stock market.
Unlike most investment apps, you don’t need to connect a bank account to fund your account with the service. Instead, you can fund your account with a debit card or credit card.
It aims to create a community around investing by providing a platform where users can follow the portfolios of other users. This way, they can learn from each other’s mistakes and successes.
- Invest in popular stocks, funds, and crypto
- Interact with a community of 3 million+ people
- Fractional Shares Calculator
- Transfer your portfolio
- Capital Gains Tax Calculator
- Invest in fractional shares for as little as $1
- Access to transparency investment opportunities
- Supportive, educational community of active investors
- Trade 20+ coins and tokens with ease
- Easy to use mobile app
- It doesn’t support investment tools such as Futures, Margins, etc.
- No option to invest on the desktop app
- It lacks auto investment features
- It doesn’t allow day-trading of stocks
- Only available to US citizens / legal US residents
Public is completely free to download and use for your investing needs. If you’re wondering how they make money, here:
Public earns interest on uninvested cash balances. The current interest rate as set by the Federal Reserve is 0.2%.
The company also makes money from optional tipping, securities lending, markups on crypto transactions, and more.
Best investment app for women
Ellevest is an investment app geared towards helping women build a better financial future.
With Ellevest, you can invest in several different portfolios with various risk factors and deposit amounts.
You can even use the app to create multiple investment accounts.
Whether you are a first-time investor or a seasoned investor, you can take advantage of Ellevest’s hands-off investment algorithm to manage your finances.
With Ellevest, you can even start investing in multiple accounts, up to five on the most expensive subscription plan.
You can use the app to set up multiple goals with the help of Ellevest. Simply transfer money from your bank account into your Ellevest account and configure your goals.
- Start investing today (membership starts at $1/month)
- Get access to banking, learning, and learning tools
- No minimum investing amount (start with $5 if you want to)
- Get monthly progress reports about your investments
- Roll over your retirement accounts and invest for your future
- A clean user interface and easy investment app
- Get your investment questions answered by Coaches and CFPs
- No account minimum (start with what you can)
- Get personalized, automated investment advice at no cost
- Private wealth management for individuals and families (with at least $1 million to invest)
- You’re only allowed to open individual investment accounts (no custodial or joint accounts yet)
- No tax-loss harvesting option
- It’s not a true trading app, you can only invest your money
Ellevest has 3 membership plans, take a look:
- Ellevest Essential ($1/month): Get started with your investing goals.
- Ellevest Plus ($5/month): When you’re reading to start putting money aside for retirement, this is the perfect plan for you.
- Ellevest Executive ($9/month): This plan gives you access to all the tools you need to invest your money and achieve your financial goals.
Note: You can save 10% when you pay yearly for Ellevest Executive and Ellevest Plus plans.
Best investment app with expert investors
Fidelity offers financial planning and advise, wealth and investing opportunities, and a learning resource.
The Fidelity Investments app provides real-time account information. It is compatible with all types of accounts, including mutual funds, stocks, ETFs, and more.
You can view your account balance, transaction history, and performance on a chart.
The app has state-of-the-art security features, including voice biometrics.
One of the best features is the informative Watch-list, which allows you to review and analyze investments.
- Tax-smart investing: keep more of what you earn
- Save up to $15/bond with fixed income solutions
- Zero commission on U.S. stocks and ETFs
- Zero account fees, and no minimum deposits
- Collaborate with a dedicated advisor to help grow and protect your wealth
- Invest in U.S. stocks and ETFs with zero fees
- Gain access to U.S. and international stocks on the go
- A trading platform that’s easy to use
- A wide selection of research providers to guide your decisions
- A responsive and excellent customer service
- Cryptocurrencies and futures cannot be traded
- Margin rates and mutual fund fees are high
- Verifying account takes a long time
Fidelity Investments Trading Fees
Here are the trading fees from Fidelity Investments:
- Stocks & Option: $0 per stock or options trade
- ETFs: $0 per trade for all ETFs
- Bonds & CDs: $1 per bond or CD in secondary trading and free for US Treasuries traded online.
The potential to save an average of $15 per bond:
- Mutual Funds: Zero expense ratio index mutual funds
- No minimums to invest – Fidelity mutual funds
- $0 for Fidelity funds and hundreds of other funds with no transaction fees
Best investment app for young investors
Stockpile is an online investment app for beginners (teens and kids) who want to learn about stock, invest in stocks, or to gift stocks.
While many brokerage apps and websites offer a wealth of options for personal investing, the Stockpile investment app is a good option for novice investors.
Although it has basic functions, it’s designed for the novice trader and offers access to the most basic tools for buying and selling stocks and ETFs.
The app allows you to place orders on stocks and ETFs from any screen and provides an overview of the performance of your investments.
- Easy account setup via the mobile app
- Invest in fractional shares with as little as $1
- A wide collection of big-name stocks (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc)
- Stockpile gift cards for your loved ones
- The app is easy to use with two-factor authentication for security
- Parents can get a unique login for custodial accounts (they can approve or reject a child’s trades)
- You can buy stocks for teens and children
- Easily buy fractional shares with $1
- No trading fees. Zero commissions.
- Basic features only. The platform is mostly for teens and children
- No direct customer support (phone call or live chat)
- You can’t trade crypto, options, or futures
Trading Fee & Commission Fee
Account transfers to another brokerage
What Are Investment Apps?
Investment apps provide easy access to market data, trade options, and portfolio tracking.
These mobile apps are a great tool for new investors, but even experienced investors can benefit from the ease and convenience of these apps.
You can access your account through a smartphone or tablet, and you don’t need to worry about losing your cash or getting confused.
You may decide to invest for the short term or long-term. So it’s important to select the right app for your needs.
What to Look for When Choosing an Investment App?
Here are the 5 key factors to consider when choosing an investment app:
1. Micro-investing app
Micro-investing offers a quick and smart way to start investing in the stock market.
This time, though, you’ll invest small amounts regularly. There’s no excuse why you shouldn’t start with any amount you have or as they say the “Spare Change” that you have.
You’ll find the best micro-investing app out there that will allow you to sign up for free and start investing with as little as $5.
2. Mobile device support
You should go everywhere the stock market goes. The easiest way to do so is by picking investment apps that will allow you to install their mobile app on your iPhone or Android devices.
Reliable and popular investment apps supports both iOS and Android devices, so you can download and use them on your mobile device without any hassle.
3. Educational resources
If you’re just getting started with stock and crypto investing, you need to continually learn new things. Even expert traders aren’t exempted from learning.
So look for investment apps that provide educational resources about the stock market, investing insights, technology, and tips & tricks that can help you become a better investor.
4. Options trading app
Investing in options can be profitable but confusing at the same time. You need to be able to do it hands-free.
Options are derivative securities, which means they got their value from the price movements of the underlying asset.
You’ll need a good options trading app to get ahead quickly, get real-time data about the target assets, and guide your next steps.
5. Low fees
We’re all looking out for discounts, free shipping, and low fees. It has now become a part of our being.
You should look for investment apps and platforms that offer low fees.
You’ll find investment apps that offer flat rate for all types of investors. Don’t be in haste, research the app thoroughly before you sign up.
Benefits of Using Investment Apps
Here are the 5 reasons why you should consider using investment apps:
1. Simple to use
The best investments apps are easy to use and provide useful resources.
In addition to letting you set your own investing goals, most offer educational resources and third-party research.
Investing apps are easy to use and connect you with a broker. These apps are designed to allow you to invest in a range of securities, which allows you to control your portfolio’s performance.
They also offer an option for you to invest only in ETFs, so you don’t have to choose between different stocks.
2. Convenient trading tools
While stockbrokers charge high fees, investment apps are a great way to avoid this.
They give you all the convenience of trading stocks and mutual funds right from your smartphone.
Many investment apps are free or low-cost.
Robinhood is a popular investing app. It keeps day trading simple by offering no account minimum and no trading fees.
The app also offers a variety of assets. Unlike other investment apps, it’s free to download, and its free version lets you trade all kinds of assets without incurring any commissions.
3. Secure your funds
Investment apps can provide you with advice on choosing stocks, choosing an account type, and more.
They can also provide you with security tips and recommendations.
Using an app to manage your investments gives you the freedom to invest whenever you want.
And many investment apps are free or inexpensive.
There are several security measures you can take to secure your funds in investment apps.
You must choose a strong password that is difficult for anyone to guess.
It must contain capital letters, symbols, and numbers, and it should not include any dictionary words or other personal information.
4. Low fees on small accounts
It’s no secret that investing is expensive, but there are ways to avoid paying high fees.
Some investing apps are free to download and offer zero-commission trades, meaning you don’t have to pay any brokerage fees.
Others require you to pay management fees or expense ratios to invest in mutual funds.
Well-known investing apps typically offer exchange-traded funds as their default investment, which is a low-cost passive investment.
5. Professional portfolio
Investment apps can help you to build your professional investment portfolio.
Whether it’s for short or long-term, you’ll have access to all of the tools and support you might need.
The Wealthfront app is a popular investment management application that keeps track of all your investments.
This app evaluates the performance of your portfolio and your risk management needs.
You can also check which assets are doing well and which are underperforming.
It will also show you which stocks are gaining and losing in comparison to the major market indices.
How Investment Apps Work
Investment apps are a convenient way to save for mid-term goals or an emergency fund.
While many financial advisors say that these types of apps should not be used for retirement savings, they do provide a good first step.
Most investment apps require you to link your bank account or debit card.
Most investment apps works by letting you fill out a survey. That way, the app will be able to determine your risk tolerance and financial goals.
Most investing apps offer a fractional share of stocks or bonds, which is a portion of an equity stock that is less than one full share.
You can also buy shares of ETFs in the app without having to visit a brokerage.
Some investment apps now uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to help you identify patterns, and “decide your investment approach — which is an important step when investing in stocks,” says Matthew Frankel, CFP.
While investing in a traditional brokerage firm may take a few days, you can do it in as little as five minutes.
Investment apps also provide financial advice and educational resources. They can help you determine your risk appetite and get you started on your way to becoming a successful investor.
How to Choose The Best Investment App For You
Investing is one of the most popular ways to diversify your portfolio.
But, before you jump into the app market and invest in stocks and bonds, it’s crucial to choose the right app.
First, decide what kind of investor you are. Are you looking for a hands-free experience?
Or would you like to have your investments managed for you?
While a hands-off investing experience is ideal for many people, others might be better suited for an investment app that provides ongoing advice and guidance.
If you’re a beginner, try the Robinhood app. It has a clean user interface compared to some of the other apps, but it offers excellent features and commission-free US-listed stocks and other assets. It also gives you free stock when you successfully sign up.
Using investment apps can be beneficial for people who are new to investing.
Once you’ve download and installed the app on your smartphone, you can make trades instantly, and you won’t have to deal with stockbrokers.
Additionally, most of these apps offer educational resources and are free of charge.
The best investment app is one that gives you complete control over your finances.
So, if you’re a novice, consider these tips. You’ll be happier with your financial future with an investment app.
Investment Apps – FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions about investment apps.
Best Investing Apps – Summary
I wrote this complete guide to the best investment apps of 2022 to help you pick the perfect app.
The best investing app should be easy to use, secure, and fast.
You also want to be able to view all of your investments from the dashboard or with just a few mouse clicks.
Here are my final recommendations:
- M1 Finance – Best investment app overall.
- Robinhood – Best investing app with zero commissions.
- Webull – Best investment app with smart trading tools.
- SoFi –
- DEGIRO – Best investment app in Europe.
Now I’d like to turn it over to you:
What investment apps would you like to use to get started with investing?
Did I miss out on your favorite investment app?
Either way, let me know by leaving a quick comment below right now.